WINWIN LoveLove WTFWTF GeekyGeeky OMGOMG CuteCute LOLLOL CryCry AngryAngry

What Will Happen if We Could Use 100% of Our Brain?

We Could Use 100% of Our Brain

Ever thought if you could solve that 3-page lengthy problem of that boring math’s class in a matter of a second. Or why a computer can multitask so better but we humans, who created it, couldn’t. If you could devise your own time machine had you got enough brains. Ever thought what would happen if you could use 100 of your brain? Well, if all these tasks were done in the blink of an eye then it would turn very comfortable for the human race.

Percentage of the brain used by Einstein

Percentage of the brain used by Einstein

Scientists have been researching for decades to vouch for the percentage of brains, we humans are really able to use. The origin of this myth that humans are only able to use 10% of their brains took from some prevalent theories from the 19th century. And since then it has become a hot topic for some of the science fiction without any scientific credibility. This myth took speed with a common belief that percentage of the brain used by the great scientist Albert Einstein was 13% which is just 3% more utilization than the normal human. He did many amazing scientific discoveries and people thought that if we were able to use 100% of our brains than that would bring wonders to this world.

10% brain usages myth

10% brain usages myth

The belief that we are only able to use 10% of our brains is half-truth and half a lie. The only truth to this 10% myth is that our brain consists of 10% neurons which help us in processing and transmitting information while the remaining 90% is made of glial cells which act as a support system for the neurons and provides insulation to them.

Do you know how heavy the human head is?

What Will Happen if We Could Use 100% of Our Brain? 1

Well, it comprises 3% of the total body weight but still, it utilises 20% of the total energy of the body. If it had to work actively for a single problem then it will require so much blood circulation that the other organs would be deprived of it making it impossible for the body to control the brain leading to a survival crisis. The most part of the brain is busy controlling all the different kind of processes in the body.

Let us understand this with the help of a simple analogy. Consider your brain as the CPU of the computer and you are busy seeing a video. CPU is not using all its power of process in playing a video, however, in the background, it has to manage many other functions such as running the antivirus programmes, keeping the USB ports functioning or for that matter even rotating the hard drive.

Now similarly at the time of you watching a video your brain performs many other functions for the body such as keeping your lungs breathing, maintaining your heartbeat, helping your eyes to see the video or helping your food to digest your food, so scientific studies have concluded that maybe only 10% of your brain would be focusing on seeing that video while the remaining 90% will be busy in performing other basic processes of your body. So the answer to the question that how much of our brains are we able to use is 100% and the theories that we use only 10% of our brains are just a myth.

Why some humans smarter than others?

The next question that rapidly creeps our mind is that, if we all humans use the same amount of brain then how are some of them smarter than the remaining. This question raised the eyebrows of many scientists and soon an explanation was provided, smartness is related to cognitive plasticity which refers to the adaptive changes in patterns of cognition related to brain activity. The study of Einstein’s brain proved that it contained the same number of neurons when compared to an average human being’s brain. However, it did contain more astrocytes which also acts as a link between two neural cells. Now it is on the diversity of the neurons it contains that provides a reason for why some people are smarter.

How to unlock your full brain hidden potential?

How to unlock your full brain hidden potential

Technically speaking it is not possible to use 100% of our brain for a single activity. But there is a fact that the way we increase our strength by muscular training similarly there are ways we can unlock or just use a higher percentage of our brains. The capabilities of your brain can be expanded by maintaining your health and challenging yourself to new things. Certain steps to try unlock a larger part of your brains are :

  • Stimulate your brain: Spending some time with nature, this helps you stimulate your brain and even improves cognitive function.
  • Try hard things: Scientists have found out that engaging your brain in some particularly hard and rigorous games or read a hard book which provides some new vocabulary as this helps you improve your fluid intelligence.
  • Try new things: As soon as you master at one task you should start the one, the reason being simple i.e. once your brain becomes efficient it stops trying new possibilities for a problem, so you should always be trying new things.
  • Take naps: It has been found out that small naps can boost your cognition, which helps you improve your brain function.
  • Healthy Routine: A healthy balanced diet, full night’s sleep, avoiding the use of tobacco these are also certain factors which help in increasing the power of the brain.

Effects of Technology advancement on the brain

Effects of Technology advancement on the brain

Technology has been a boon for our generation however in today’s world, technology affects our brain negatively. In many cases, it has been observed that internet/gaming addiction leads to shrinkage of tissue volume in the brain. Apart from this, it leads to anxietydepression and sometimes to even suicidal thoughts thus disturbing our mental equilibrium. It is even recommended that we should stop relying on machines for basic functions such as calculators or GPS navigators. This way we do not allow our brains to exercise which in turn inhibits in expanding our brains beyond its limits.

Is it possible for a Human brain to defeat supercomputers?

Human brain to defeat supercomputers

When it comes to technology no one can ignore one of the most important invention, computers. For decades computer scientists have strived to build machines that can calculate faster than the human brain and store more information, however, they were able to pose no match to the human brain. In the last decade though in this race between the human brain capacity vs computers the latter was able to mark a win. The world’s most powerful supercomputer, the K from Fujitsu, computes four times faster and holds 10 times as much data as the human brain. The human’s brain capacity is around 3.5 quadrillion bytes while this supercomputer was able to store around 30 quadrillion bytes.

Well learning these facts we all are able to relate that how powerful the human mind is. So we should always try and improve brain health by solving brain teaser questions or maintaining proper health. This way we all will also be able to think of new constructive ways to do goods to the society and help and make this world a better place to live in.

Sharing is caring

What do you think?

1005 points
Upvote Downvote

Written by Amazing Fact

The world is full of amazing and mindblowing facts. I love to know and share incredible facts with the world.

Scientists create Vaccine allergic to cat

Scientists Created Vaccine to Stop You from Being Allergic to Your Cat

11 Science and Tech Museums You Can Tour Virtually

11 Science and Tech Museums You Can Tour Virtually